With Thanksgiving behind us and Christmas and New Year’s just ahead, you might be thinking this is the time to take a break from networking professionally and just relax and enjoy your social connections. Not so fast! Holiday networking is often the most rewarding!
So, don’t slow down or stop networking, instead, get busy! Build that momentum and keep going. You’ll find six solid reasons ‘tis the season to network!
- Holidays mean home and hearth. Many of the busiest hiring influencers are trying to schedule time to be home for the holidays. Now is the time to connect, before they jet off to their next meeting in the new year!
- Competition takes time off. Conventional wisdom says that business slows for the holidays, so now is the time to take it easy. With all those slackers out there, your field of competition just got smaller!
- Holiday expenses. Hiring influencers such as recruiters and hiring managers have their eyes on commissions and bonuses to support their holiday expenses, they’re eager to fill open positions and are actively seeking candidates…and as per #2, the competition is sparse.
- Holiday parties. Many networking groups hold holiday parties or festive networking events this time of year. There are more opportunities than ever to network. Put a few extra events on your calendar today.
- End of the year. The end of the calendar year is often the end of a fiscal quarter or year for businesses, too. Hiring influencers are scrambling to use their “body budget” to the fullest and get those open positions filled while there is still money in the budget.
- Connections now mean interviews and opportunities later. You don’t want to slow down now, because that means you’ll have no interviews lined up in January. That’s also when your competition gets going again with their new energy and fresh resolutions. Act now, and you’ll have a full calendar of interviews while other are still ramping back up after a break.