Are you interested in moving up to a C-Suite position? In addition to writing an executive level resume, growing your network, and polishing your personal brand, take some time to develop the key characteristics hiring influencers are looking for in a solid C-Suite candidate. Strategically positioning yourself as an expert in your field who already has the characteristics of a great business leader is worth the effort.
- Ambition. It’s not a dirty word, so be open about wanting to grow into the position you desire. Be open about earning your eMBA. Seek out mentors who can help you develop your soft skills, and recommend challenges that will help you get ready for the next level. Network with Executive Recruiters and other hiring influencers in the know about open C-Suite positions.
- Attitude. Meet big challenges with enthusiasm. C-Suite executives have a great deal of responsibility and need to be able to greet big new challenges with confidence and enjoyment. If you’re a natural pessimist, work with a coach or mentor to improve your approach to the challenges you encounter.
- Impact. Know your numbers, and make sure they’re not only on your resume, but at the top of your mind during interviews. Be ready to prove the positive impact you’ve had on your team and organization.
- Strategy. Make sure you’ve made enough lateral moves to acquire the skills and expertise needed to reach the C-Suite. Hiring influencers are looking for long-range planners, so show them strategic career planning as well as your business acumen.
- Culture. Corporate culture and morale are instilled and supported from the C-Suite, so ensure that you are a great cultural fit in your current position and research the culture at organizations you’re interested in to be sure you’re a good fit.
- Preparedness. Keep an eye on the career opportunities where you are, and where you’d like to go if your own company doesn’t have potential openings. Be ready to step forward and accept both the challenges and the responsibilities of opportunities that come your way. Make sure your resume and elevator pitch are always ready. Keep an eye on your growth and goals to make sure you are managing your own career.